So, yesterday’s visit with with my primary care doctor was quite revealing. Given the fact that she called me directly and said we needed to discuss a letter she received from my cardiologist, I knew it would be an interesting visit going in.
As I mentioned in a previous post, the results from a recent round of testing performed by the cardiologist indicated that the strength of my heart has deteriorated again, and my ejection fraction is back down to 35%. I knew that going into the appointment yesterday. And I knew that the cardiologist had ordered a more intensive test to confirm that result. What I didn’t know was what he was planning to do if the results were confirmed.
His plan, should the test I’m having next week confirm the ejection fraction is indeed less than 36%, is to arrange for a defibrillator type device that would, hopefully, protect me from sudden cardiac death. In the event that I should go into cardiac arrest due to ventricular fibrillation, the device would shock my heart and restore a normal rhythm. Which in turn should give me a fighting chance to get to the hospital.
Now, that could mean a couple of different things. Worst case: I have to undergo surgery to implant a defibrillator. An operation that, while routine, is fraught with the potential for disaster. Best case: I have to be fitted with a wearable external defibrillator, involving no surgery, etc. If I must have something like that, I’d much prefer the non-invasive option.
At this point, either option is on the table. And what happens next will be determined after the test next Friday. And while I truly hope the results are better, and that the results of the last test were just wrong, the pain in my chest is telling me otherwise.
My primary doctor and I both agreed that obtaining a second opinion from an independent cardiologist was a good idea, so between now and next Friday, I’ll be meeting with a new doctor to have them review my case. Again, I’m trying to be optimistic that fresh thinking on this will result in something good, but as I said, I’m struggling with that.
Until then, it’s a wait and see what happens game. And I’m not good with these games. I can’t begin to describe what all of this is doing to me mentally.
But there was one bit of good news that came of that office visit. My A1C was 7.0, down from 7.4 in September. And given everything that I’m dealing with right now, that’s a damn respectable number.
And at a time when things are quite dark and miserable, it’s nice to see that something I’m doing is still working.