5 Things that Changed My Life
NHBPM Day 5 Prompt: 5 things that changed my life. For better? For worse? List 5 things that changed your life as a patient, caregiver, or Health Activist and how.
“Sometimes in life, horrible and unexplainable things happen. These things are a test of character. And I have character” – Agatha Trunchbull, from the movie, Matilda.
Here are 5 things, good, bad and in no particular order, that have happened in my life and tested my character to the limits:
- Being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and congestive heart failure sure spiced things up a bit. Good grief! I can’t think of any one event in my life that so abruptly changed every aspect of my life as receiving those diagnoses.
- Dealing with my mother-in-law being diagnosed with end stage uterine cancer a year ago, and all of the chaos that has ensued as a result of that.
- Meeting, falling in love with, and maintaining relationship with April for the last 9 years. We may not be married, but we live the vows “for better or for worse, in sickness and in health” each and every day.
- Finding the DOC has been one of the best things that has happened to me in the last 3 years. The love and support that I have received from so many amazing people in the community has played a huge role in my survival. And that is not overstating things at all.
- Leaving home to attend college 250+ miles away. If you can’t figure out why that was life changing, well… nevermind. 🙂
Can you list 5 things that have changed your life? Sound off in the comments box below!
This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J